Welcome to DVEN’s King and Queen of the Mountain (KOM/QOM) and SPRINT Competitions
At DVEN, one of our most important missions is preventing veteran suicide through educating our community about the symptoms of PTSD and providing helpful resources to mitigate the effects of PTSD. By joining our competition, you can make a meaningful impact and help save the lives of our disabled brethren and have some cycling fun in the process.
(To learn more about PTSD, and the symptoms of PTSD, please visit our “Common Symptoms of PTSD” resource page: https://dven.org/common-symptoms-of-ptsd-checklist/)
Exercise is one of the best ways to mitigate the symptoms of PTSD. At DVEN, cycling is one of our favorite ways to exercise and we love the camaraderie and motivation competitions provide. Our 2020 KOM/QOM and Sprint competition challenges bring that camaraderie and competition nation-wide, to support our disabled brethren!
KOM and Sprint Competition Overview
Whether you’re a climber or sprinter, we have a cycling competition for you! We have 13 Strava.com segments for you to choose from – including two in the UK! (Strava.com is a free application you will use to track your cycling performance). Here’s all it takes to compete:
- Pick your segment and register with us to compete in that segment.
- Ride as many times as you like and log your time on Strava.com.
Pretty easy. Right?
The top male and female on each segment, using USA cycling age groups, will be mailed a special KOM/QOM or Sprint jersey (depending on the competition you entered). Additionally, if you win a segment, we will provide you with a hometown press release (with your approval)!
The investment to participate is a small $10 donation. This helps us cover the cost of the jerseys and fund our 2020 awareness programs and events. In order for us to award a jersey, we need at least three (3) competitors of the same gender in an age group. The more competition the merrier!
So, find two of your friends who are slower than you and convince them they can beat you. 🙂 The more you share the event in your community, the more people we can reach about PTSD and how it can be treated.
How to Register and Compete
1. Register to compete in one of our 13 Strava segments.
2. Compete until December 31, 2020, to earn your best time on Strava. You may attempt a segment as many times as you would like to earn your best time!
3. The top male and female participants, from each USA cycling age group, will be mailed a special KOM/QOM jersey! We will also be mailing out special Lanterne Rouge awards to participants who show the #NeverGiveUp spirit!
4. If your Strava profile is not public, please send screenshots of your best time(s) to info@DVEN.org by December 31, 2020.
That’s it. Make this your personal Tour de France for 2020. Allez-y!!